There are several herbs that can support gut health and promote digestion. Here are some commonly used herbs known for their beneficial effects on the gastrointestinal system:
- Peppermint: Peppermint is known for its soothing properties and can help relieve digestive discomfort, including bloating, gas, and indigestion. It can also promote the flow of bile, which aids in digestion. (medical news today)
- Ginger: Ginger has been used for centuries to support digestion. It can help reduce nausea, alleviate stomach upset, and improve overall digestion. Ginger also has anti-inflammatory properties that can be beneficial for gut health. (Johns Hopkins Medicine)
- Chamomile: Chamomile has calming properties and can help soothe the digestive system. It is often used to relieve gastrointestinal spasms, bloating, and indigestion. Chamomile tea is a popular way to consume this herb. (healthline)
- Fennel: Fennel seeds have carminative properties, which means they can help relieve gas and bloating. Fennel can also stimulate digestion and promote the healthy function of the gastrointestinal tract. (healthyrd)
- Licorice: Licorice root has been used traditionally to soothe the digestive system and relieve gastrointestinal discomfort. It can help reduce inflammation, protect the stomach lining, and support healthy digestion. (science direct)
- Slippery Elm: Slippery elm bark can help soothe the lining of the digestive tract and reduce inflammation. It forms a gel-like substance when mixed with water, which can provide a protective coating to the stomach and intestines. (Maryland University Intergrative Medicine)
It's important to note that while these herbs can be beneficial for gut health, individual responses may vary. If you have any specific digestive concerns or medical conditions, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating new herbs or supplements into your routine.